55/57 Westgate Road
From 1982 until 2000 the home of Newcastle Arts Centre's office, `details' art material's store and picture framing department. In 2001 the building is vacant except for the office of Newcastle Arts Centre Trust and is awaiting a complete overhaul and restoration.
Illustration of ' the Assembly House' on the Corbridge map of 1721 showing the building prior to modernisation in the 1770's
An 1842 drawing showing the building as 'modernisied' in 1770's
the 1770's doorway and the 1885 shop front - note that the brickwork is now faced with stone and the floor has been lowered to ground level.
This drawing shows the proposed restoration of
the 1770's south elevation that was hidden when
Walkers Factory was built in the Courtyard .
Originally the view from the splendid Venetian
window would have been across a large courtyard and
garden to the City walls and the rural Tyne valley.
This Georgian elevation will be restored with the
This drawing shows the proposed restoration of the 1770's south elevation that was hidden when Walkers Factory was built in the Courtyard . Originally the view from the splendid Venetian window would have been across a large courtyard and garden to the City walls and the rural Tyne valley. This Georgian elevation will be restored with the interior.
The site of the present 55/57 Westgate
Road has seen a wide range of occupants, and this stretch of
Westgate Street was certainly occupied from the 15th
Century. The building has been rebuilt at least once and
'recased' twice. The early cellars are built from stone and
provided the foundations for a timber framed building with
brick infill. The house was recased in brick in the late
17th Century and recased in stone in the 1770's. The front
wall is 3 walls thick faced with a grey millstone
grit that is much harder than the local dune sandstone. By
contrast the delicate doorway is made from a very fine
sandstone which suggests that it may have been a special
commission or salvaged from another building.
From 1716 to 1736 this was know as the
Assembly House (at the same time playing host to a
school, for young ladies!). These public assemblies for
dancing and card playing were a new feature of
northern society and at first appear to have encountered
considerable opposition - as objectionable on moral grounds.
The Newcastle Courant advertised "Plays,
Masquerades and Assemblies - every night during the
races" and "a raffle for 12 fine fans... at
half a crown a ticket". These were, no doubt,
occasions when the habitual peace and tranquillity of the
street were somewhat disturbed..." a fit of
dissipation seized it, and instead of the usual sleepy
repose, there was a clattering of carriages, and flaring on
links and sounds of music and revelry upon the midnight
air" (Charlton). for more Click
Soon 55 had returned to a more conventional role as the home of leaders of the community. It was owned for a while by Lady Winsor and used to oversee her coal enterprises and was the home of Geoffrey Fawcett Recorder of Newcastle. The house was considerably rebuilt twice during the 18th Century . Most of this still remains above and behind the Victorian shop front and is reflected in the fact that it is a Grade II Star listed building. The interior in particular contains some rare and elaborate "Imperial" plasterwork in a Northern version of the Italian style.
. During this time the historian John Brand and the eminent Newcastle architect William Newton, lived in this section of Westgate Street for a time but we do not know in which house.
First floor ceiling of No.55
It is possible that this house continued to be used occasionally as an assembly house up to the opening of the Assembly Rooms in 1776 that were designed by William Newton and stand opposite 55 & 57 Westgate Road. Newton was also responsible for Charlotte Square and later lived there.
The house became the home of William Peters, an eminent lawyer active at the time of the 'Great Reform Bill', and the last man but one in Newcastle to wear a "pigtail" , a copy of the Magna Carta once owned by him is now in Harvard University Law Library. Subsequently, the Misses Clayton, sisters of the celebrated John Clayton, lived here. In the 1870's it housed the Northumberland Club, but No 57 reverted to a private home and became the birthplace of Sir William Hume ( July 1879), a leading heart specialist and father of Cardinal Basil Hume.
In 1885 Henry Walker & Son converted the ground floor of 55 Westgate Road into a shop, and this was followed by the addition of workshops over the garden to the rear, which have since been demolished to reveal the original elevation (1987). Walker & Son were Hardware manufacturers and inventors of the pneumatic cash transit system used extensively in early department stores. A photograph shows this company was still trading in 1956 at this location while Westgate Road was still a busy street. In 1925 Walker & Son invited Architects to visit this building. In 1957 the ground floor of 55 suffered a 'make over' by the Northern Gas Board with chimneys cut through and suspended ceilings installed.
The attempt to modernize Newcastle in the 1960's with a massive redevelopment plan that stalled with the property crash of 1974, placed much of Westgate Road under severe planning blight which, together with the building of Eldon Square Shopping Centre, moved the focus of the City north.
The result was a period of rapid decline and the accidental preservation of many historic buildings which are now regarded as a valuable heritage.
By the 1990's the area is a focus for inner city restoration and development, with a potentially prosperous future.
John Mears, Susan Maughan and Mike Tilley. Copyright 1996 Newcastle Arts Centre. Updated 2008
The information on this page has been gathered from a number of sources including : -
John Brand who lived somewhere in Westgate Street in 1776
from where he published reprints of some of Bourne's
Repairs completed with the support of a Grant from English Heritage
The chimney stacks have been taken down and rebuilt with new stone cornices and reclaimed chimney pots; the roof has been painstakingly re-roofed with Westmoreland slate to the front elevation and Welsh slate to the rear. New sun pipes have been installed to let the natural light through to the upstairs while bespoke timber rainwater gutters and cast iron down pipes were fitted along with new dormers and conservation roof lights.
Structural and restoration repairs have been carried out to the brick and stonework, replacing, cleaning, repointing and rebuilding all defective areas. New openings have been formed along the rear elevation, which had previously been bricked up and new stone lintels fitted.
rear of 55 July 2010
New underground drainage and bird repellent systems have been put in place to preserve and improve the life of the building together with new stone steps and steel handrails along the rear elevation.
main stairway No. 55 see outside above
The interior in particular contains some rare and elaborate "Imperial" plasterwork in a Northern version of the Italian style which require structural repairs. Plastering, decoration, are ongoing.
The venetian and radial window at the rear were made of oak in the 1770's we have fully restored them at Newcastle Arts Centre using salvaged oak to match the original.
Throughout the building, the existing sliding sash windows are being restored and where necessary supplied and fitted new ones also employing skilled carpentry techniques on period skirting, architraves, doors, moldings and frames.
Other internal structural alterations have taken place; new steel work, raising the timber floors so that the cellars below can be utilized as well as forming a new courtyard garden with new openings. Enabling works are also in place to provide for a disabled lift.
Phase one of the restoration work is complete and ultimately the building will restored to its former glory with residential and public spaces.
Open to the Public for Heritage Open Days September 2009 click for information
Architects - GWK -David Cansfield. Consultant - Cyril Winskell, Archaeologists -.Northern Counties Archaeological Services - John Nolan, Main Contractor - Quadriga, Main Roof Timber repairs and treatment - Peter Cox , Plasterwork - Decorative Plaster Co Newcastle,Restoration Carpentry and decoration - Newcastle Arts Centre, Stone Mason - Phil Mason